Associate Director - Structural EngineeringApply Now
When the global aerospace community looks for ideas and solutions to its biggest challenges, they turn to the people of UTC Aerospace Systems. We design, invent and deliver the most advanced and diverse range of aerospace systems on the market. We are inventors. We are manufacturers. We work in space exploration, commercial air travel, defense and rescue applications. Always learning and pushing the boundaries, we are an undisputed industry leader that continually sets the bar higher and higher. Come soar with us.
At UTC Aerospace Systems, we believe that innovation starts with our people. That’s why we have over 8,000 engineers located in 70 sites around the globe, across 14 countries. But our Engineering organization is not just a collection of individual businesses. We use our size and expertise to create system solutions that work across all our product lines.
Our industry-leading experts are setting the standards for the aerospace industry and paving the way for the future. But as new challenges present themselves, we need fresh, creative and motivated minds to overcome these hurdles, help us break barriers and achieve new levels of innovation. Do you have what it takes to join a global, diverse organization that doesn’t shy away from big opportunities? If so, we invite you to join our Engineering ranks and create the next generation of aerospace technologies. Together, we will move the world forward!
The EQUIP Stress Discipline Chief will act as the visionary and champion for the organization in driving continuous improvement and implementing lean processes that serve to establish the organization’s stress analysis competency as world class and enable the highest degree of customer satisfaction.
- Serve as the Subject Matter Expert in Stress & Structural Dynamics and support EQUIP portfolio (engine build up, actuation and latching systems) while in the development, certification and productions stages
- Ensure successful implementation of lean analysis framework currently in place for stress analysis of engine build up systems
- Identify and implement new tools and drive waste out of existing processes in stress analysis of other components that translate into reduced development cycle time of new products
- Be a champion for lean and draw thin design philosophy that enable new programs to meet weight and cost objectives
- Act as the Principal Investigator in matters related to customer escapes and field issues, drive issue resolution and help implement mistake proofing
- Support program and technical reviews where necessary.
- This includes, but is not limited to, UPI design reviews, customer design reviews, relevant step back reviews and technical issue discussions
- Participate in proposal work, including review and negotiation of requirements prior to contract award to ensure the leveraging of internal approaches and improvements
- Provide mentorship, primarily to the lead stress engineers, on being able to function in a lead capacity, teaching & guiding leadership, management and problem & conflict resolution
- Provide everyday technical expertise to the stress team on matters related to technical issues and challenges & opportunities that arise with analysis, drawing sign off, parts development and field issues
- Drive standard work for the entire stress team in developing, guiding and managing the Standard Work, Standard Job Instructions, Tools and ESOM documents
- Provide a forum for technical discussions and read across of lessons learned between the various stress groups within the organization
- Approve supplier technical specifications and deliverables as appropriate, including review of stress analysis reports
- Ensure that both internally produced and supplier produced stress documents meet all certification and customer requirements, or that appropriate deviations / non-compliances and justifications are identified
- Provide input to the SOW for Stress related work, or new program proposals
- Collate and periodically review the stress analysis record (AR) metrics for the Aerostructures site level key process and ensure all targets are met or gaps identified for improvement
- Support R&D materials strategy projects and additive manufacturing efforts, assess readiness for near term programs and support advanced architecture and design initiatives
- Capture lessons learned to ensure proper flow and utilization across the organization
- A strong bias for action and drive for continuous improvement
- Expertise in static, fatigue, crack growth and structural dynamics analysis of aircraft components
- Aptitude for technical problem and conflict resolution and relentless focus on customer satisfaction
- Ability to communicate clearly both verbally and in writing, work closely with others in a team environment, prepare reports and presentations, and act as liaison to team, leadership and customers
- Must be able to apply advanced technical principles, theories and concepts, contribute to the development of new principles/concepts and develop advanced technological ideas and guide their development into a final product
- Ability to act as the organization's spokesperson on stress analysis activities and advise leadership and customers
- Ability to provide solutions to complex technical problems and provide guidance on the best balance of product metrics
- Leadership exposure and experience Preferred Qualifications:
- Experience working with engine build up, actuation or latching systems and other nacelle components
- Experience working with suppliers and reviewing and approving supplier provided documents
- Continuous Improvement/ACE knowledge
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering, Aeronautical Engineering, Aerospace or related field with 15+ years industrial experience in Aerospace or Automotive Industry required.
- Master's degree and/or Ph.D. with 7+ years of industrial experience in Aerospace or Automotive Industry preferred.
- Background check and drug screen required (every external new hire in the U.S.)
- Drug Screens for re-hires only performed for previous employees who have been gone from company for more than 1 year.
United Technologies Corporation is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.
Note to candidates regarding interview scams: We'd like to make it clear that UTC Aerospace Systems never asks candidates for money. If you've been approached with a job offer that you suspect may be fraudulent, we strongly recommend you do not respond, send money or personal information. Please report any suspicious activity to Talent Acquisition.
Your Saved Jobs
- You have not saved any jobs
Recently Viewed Jobs
- You have not viewed any jobs.